On September 9, 1963, Southland Federal Credit Union’s charter was approved by NCUA (National Credit Union Administration). Starting with only seven members and working out of a house, the credit union started providing financial services to workers and family members of the Southland Paper Mill in Lufkin, Texas. By the end of 1963, the credit union had grown to 205 members and $3,004.25 in total assets.
After 40 years of providing financial services to the Southland Paper Mill, the credit union discovered that the Southland Paper Mill would be shutting down. Knowing this would have an effect on the credit union’s future, in October 2003, the board of directors expanded the field of membership becoming a community charter. The charter expanded the eligibility to include anyone who lives, works, worships, or attends school in and businesses and other legal entities located in Angelina County, Texas.
In early 2004, the credit union took in Houston-Trinity County Teachers Federal Credit Union and once again expanded the field of membership to include anyone who lives, works, worships, or attends school in and businesses and other legal entities located in Houston and Trinity County, Texas. The credit union also retained all the membership of record from the merger of the Houston-Trinity County Teachers Federal Credit Union. This merger also provided two locations to better serve the membership.
In 2005, the board purchased land at 1524 E. Houston Avenue in Crockett, Texas and 2601 S. John Redditt Drive in Lufkin, Texas moving staff to the new credit union facilities that year. Both locations were selected to meet the needs of the membership.
We are now over $47.5 million in total assets, providing financial services to over 6,600 members and growing. We remain financially strong and a secure place to keep your money.